In the early 1920’s, Mr. & Mrs. Charles Mitchell saw the need of a Sunday School for the children of their neighborhood. Having no church in the community, the Mitchells opened their home, and Mrs. Mitchell began to teach the little ones. Parents became interested and the small class grew. Soon they met in an empty house across the street from their home. Later they were granted permission to use the old Muncie Schoolhouse (now Lindberg Elementary). It was there that they adopted the name Western Highlands Mission.
A revival meeting was held in the old Muncie Schoolhouse beginning October 31st and ending November 14th, 1926. They called Rev. J.C. Hoggart as their pastor. On Sunday, November 14th, 1926 they were organized as a Baptist Church. On November 17th,1926 the name Fairview Baptist Church was adopted. There were 54 charter members who were very excited about their new church.
In May of 1927, Pastor Hoggart suggested they begin to look for a church location that was desirable and could be reasonably purchased. They soon decided on a site. The location was at the corner of Reidy Road and Lamb Road (now State Ave & 57th Street). This lot was purchased for $288.00 at $12.00 per month for two years. Their first Baptismal service was held on August 28, 1927 at a creek.
By the end of 1928 the membership was 84. They had given $40.00 to Missions that year as well. After two long years of labor and sacrifice the building was done. On December 15,1929, they had a dedication day. There were 3 services, a luncheon at noon, and 2 souls saved.
In August of 1941, the first church bulletin was made and published once a week. During the first week of May in 1945, Rev. H.A. Manewal held a revival and Brother F.L. Plumb led the song service during the meetings. At the end of the month, the church decided to call Brother Plumb as their pastor. An ordination service was held for him at Bales Avenue Baptist Church and a reception was given for him on August 31, 1945.
In August of the following year, they held a Baptismal service and basket dinner at the Wyandotte County Lake. As of April 11,1951, the church membership was at 110. In December, a possibility of a new church site was recommended. In March of 1955, the church voted to purchase the two acres of land where the building is currently located for $2,000.00 an acre.
On Sunday, May16,1965 ground breaking services took place with Pastor Plumb spading up the first shovel full of dirt. The first Sunday service was held in the new building on February 6, 1966. The new building was formally dedicated on Sunday, March 20, 1966. Among those in attendance was the first pastor, Bro. Hoggart. In June 1976, the church held a mortgage burning service as a celebration of paying off the debt on the building.
Many years passed by… In 2001, their pastor resigned. The people were without a pastor for 18 months when they called Pastor Jared Shipman. His first Sunday was on April 6, 2003.
After he arrived he began teaching on Biblical Principles concerning Local Church, Lord’s Supper, and Soul Winning, just to name a few. Pastor Shipman along with a few other members began knocking doors. Through this ministry our church has been able to see many come to know Christ as their Saviour, baptized, and added to the church.
Our Pastor has a great desire to reach people for the cause of Christ. The Lord has led him to begin a Bible College, plant new Independent, Fundamental Baptist Churches, and to start a Christian School. All of which our church people are involved in.
In the fall of 2005, Kansas Baptist College was started to train men and women for the work of the ministry. In May of 2009, we had our first graduate. The Lord began to burden the heart of Pastor Shipman with the desire to start churches. He began to pray about a place and a man, when his own associate came and said that he felt the Lord leading him to start a church. The first church was planted in Mineral Wells, Texas in April of 2007 with Pastor Caleb Shipman. The second Fundamental, Baptist Church was planted in September of 2009 in the Parkville/Platte County area with Pastor Bryan Gentry.
Pastor Shipman’s desire is to also see boys and girls grow up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. This prompted him along with God’s leading to start Fairview Baptist Academy. At FBA our theme is “Striving for Excellence While Preparing for Eternity.” Our desire is to give these students a great education along with a Biblical foundation in which to build their lives upon.
Contact UsGospel Light Baptist Church
8822 Parallel PKWY
Kansas City, Kansas 66112
Stay Up To Date
Service TimesSunday Services
Sunday School 9:30am
Sunday Morning 10:30am
Sunday Evening 5:00pm
Mid-week Services 7:00pm
Nursery Provided for All Public Services